Friday, October 7, 2011

running, singing, and a naked man. ...do i have your attention?

Got to sleep in today.  Then went straight to a movement class at 1:30pm.  And boy, did we move.  We began with running around the room in a sprint.  Friends, you know very well that I'm not a runner.  I will frolick, I will tip toe, I will skip, I will gallivant.  But running is something I do not enjoy. I do it because it's the only thing that really works the entire body, but I don't like it.  And doing it when most of the people who are running with you are about six feet tall is just cruel.  I kept up though.  Then we ran the other way around the room.  Ok.  Getting a little winded.  Then we did the football side gallop thing again.  (I'm starting to pout in between gasping for air).  Then we run again.  Ok, so maybe my clothes are fitting better and I'm gaining stamina, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to internally bitch the entire way. 
We then are taught a warm up that will eventually only take about 7 minutes to complete.  However, it took an hour and a half to learn.  And parts of it brought back awful memories of 6th grade P.E. class.  We had to do the tripod where you are upside down trying to balance your knees on your elbows, only now without having your head on the ground.  We did (or rather I attempted) the thing where you're on your knees and you jump to your feet.  Yeah, that didn't work for me.  I ended up giving my left foot a horrible floor burn.  But all that aside, if I truly put into practice this "warm up" I could seriously make a difference in my body.  Discipline discipline discipline.  ugh.

After the class, I hobbled (and I do mean hobbled with sore foot, bruised ass, red knees, and shaking thighs) to a open Musical Theatre Masters class.  The students were singing their audition pieces and seeing as how we met some of them yesterday, it was a nice way to support them.  It was nice to hear some musical theatre again.  I won't say I missed the rambunctious-ness of the Musical crowd, but there's just something so wonderful about good acting mixed with good singing.  Now, mind you, this was not the case for the entire group.  But there was a wonderful rendition of "I, Who Have Nothing" from Smokey Joe's Cafe by a scottish guy.  He acted the BLEEP outta that thing. 

Our Dept Head announced that our cohort will in fact be performing our audition monologue next thursday for the class.  I couldnt be more pleased...oh...right...must brush up on it now...right.  Must remember that I have nothing to prove.  Just get up there, and do your job.  I find that's the key to solving most of my nerves.  If you remember that it's not about you, it's about the character and the play (or most often, about whoever you are talking to in the play), than you wont get in your own way. 

Following the musical theatre, most of our cohort decided to go back to the Tramway theatre to see a different play.  Stopping for dinner first, I ended up with three of the cohort that I don't know very well.  Since our group has been split up, we tend to live lifetimes in one day and never really bond with the other half.  It's an interesting dynamic being with the others.  Like it's the first day of orientation all over again. 

The show itself was fascinating.  It was called "Saturday Night".  I don't even know how to explain it.  The set was as if a house was cut in half and what separates the audience from the characters is a big sheet of plexiglass.  kind of like an ant farm.  As the play happens, we cannot hear ANY of the dialogue.  So we sat there for two hours listening to whatever soundtrack and sound effects played on the speakers.  An entire play that had words, but you couldnt hear them.  And yet, it was riveting.  It did get a little on the bizarre side when it went abstract and brought in gorillas and space men.  And I did actually watch a full on naked guy run around the house.  And it did involve watching people using the toilet. ...but it made sense.  In a way, we were the voyeurs, watching the common lives of strangers.  (well, until the gorillas came in.)  Either way, it made you think and it made a beautiful picture.  Reading body language to tell a story.  Good stuff.

Longest day ever, oh so tired,  but oh so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment