Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Little Mermaid Collects Disability

The fairy tales continue in rehearsals.  We spend each day bringing in new myths and old stories our parents used to read us when we were little and then we improvise a 21st century version.  I have to say, it's been a helluva lot of fun.  The group I'm in becomes increasingly comedic and we've laughed most of time.  The idea from Rona is that she wants to integrate a little magic or put a spin on a fairy tale but have that magic be completely accepted by all those in the play. 
For example: In the Little Mermaid (not the disney, but like the real one told by Hans Christian Andersen) she falls in love with the prince but he marries someone else and she dies and becomes foam upon the waves. And while she was human, everytime she walked, it would feel like she were walking on knives.
In our version, the prince does leave her for someone else, but she goes on living.  However, she can't get work because of her leg pain so she goes to the D.S.S office to try to collect disability.  We improvved a scene between her and the insurance agent.  It was both hilarious and heart breaking to watch her try to show proof that she was once a mermaid.  The comedy came from the fact that it wasn't the proof that mermaids exist that was needed but that she needed to prove that she was one.  She begged the worker to ask her anything, to quiz her about the ocean, to have her name any lobster or crab.  And the worker told her to fill out forms and make another appt.  It was scarily realistic in that all you had to do was substitute all mermaid words for real ailments and it would have played exactly the same.
We did the same exercise with Orpheus and Euridice.  But instead of Orpheus going down to the underworld to bring back his wife Euridice,  we had him trying to bail her out of jail.  Same goes for snow white, cinderella, the 12 dancing princesses, beauty and the beast, the six swans, etc.
So entertaining and Rona has been delightful to work with.  She'd let us improv for hours if PB would let her.  She genuinely loves to play and she loves getting to know us.  It's reassuring that whatever writing comes from her will be personal and just for us. 

On a more troublesome note, I had cut out caffeine since last friday and had stopped taking whatever sleeping pills I had to try to cut the panic attacks and thought it had begun to work.  This morning started out well with a dance class that was hysterical.  But then about noon I started to get that now familiar pressure in my chest.  By the programme meeting at 1pm I felt like my heart was going to implode, and by 2pm at end of lunch I almost began to hyperventilate.  Scared me for a minute.  But I got it undercontrol with a bit of help from LM.  I find that with a bit of pressure to the slight left and right of my spine and it eases off.  It was still a bit tight for a few hours after that and even now I can still feel it. But it's better. (Mom, I can hear you worrying from here.  Really it's no biggy.  I'll rest when I'm home for xmas and I'm sure it'll pass.)  It's just annoying because, as I said, I'm not stressed.  I'm happy.  So there's really no reason for this nonesense.

Random fact to brighten the mood.  Once in a while I'll hear AK in my group say, "oh no, I can't read that I don't have my glasses."  which she rarely wears.  I asked her today if it bothers her and she said, "oh I like it.  Everyone is so beautiful because I see everyone in soft focus."  Only AK.  Love. Her.

That's about it for the past two days.  It's the last week of actual work (next week is just a formality with tutorials).  Then a few days to hang out in Glasgow and just play.  Then the long ass flight to Seattle.  Sigh.  For once I wish I could slow time.

Thinking of you.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment