Friday, August 31, 2012

Show Biz Lesson #172: NOT FOR FREE.

I've calmed down since my last posting.  I'm sure you all are relieved that I won't be slitting any throats any time soon.  I admit I almost blew a gasket Wednesday afternoon before opening when the tech crew continued to amaze us with their fumbling, but it soon passed with the help of the even tempered cast, the ever motivated director, and a Levi hug.  It is a huge gift from God that this cast is made up of only one true hot head (me) and the rest are all calm and collected when it comes to keeping their sh*t together.  Sigh.  I really have to start cussing less.  It's highly unattractive.

So we opened on Wednesday night.  Technically, that means there are no more rehearsals or classes for the remainder of the programme.  It's a bit anticlimatic if you ask me.  I don't know.  Maybe it just means I'm really ready to move on.  I haven't felt like a student for a while now, so I didn't really feel anything about it.  Or maybe it's just that we've been rehearsing this show for so long that there wasn't any room for sentimentality.  I didn't really even get nervous.

And after all the worries and insecurities that we've had about the thing, it actually went extremely well.  Better than I think any of us realized.  Which, thank God.  I hadn't realized how badly I needed it to go well.  Because, to be honest, I've often felt like a dumbass flopping around on a metal table with my hands bound, wrapped in saran wrap, a ton of make-up, dripping wet, getting salt poured on me, and talking to myself.  I think most people would.  But somehow we've been able to play the truth of it and convince people (I hope).  And it's becoming fun again.  I will say that I've been having a bit of difficulty with the costume (photos will arise eventually but we are keeping it underwraps for now because it ruins the "reveal" for anyone who is actually coming to the show.  but never fear, I'll post one or two eventually).  The costume snafu is probably more in my head, or something that only a few cast members notice because they are so close to me, but you see...cling film doesnt breath.  It gets hot.  And when you spray it down with water, it gets slippery.  Now, add to that the fact that i'm dragging myself across the floor as well as back and forth on the kitchen table...well...things sort of slide off.  So I start the show with a tightly cling filmed chest.  I end it...not so tightly cling filmed.  Actually, by the end, on both runs of the show, the cling film has ended up around my waste.  Never fear friends, I do still wear a shimmery leotard catsuit underneath...but it's stretchy, too.  And gets wet.  And well,  the Lord, when bequeathing me with gifts, gave an abundance in the upper region.  Which means that said catsuit does not like to disobey the law of gravity.  So I spend a good amount of time in the show pretending to struggle, only to mask that I had to yank up the catsuit to avoid making this a whole different kind of show.  Listen, I'm all about the art and beauty of the body, but I ain' gettin' paid for this.  Show Business Lesson #172, NOT FOR FREE.

Other than that, we've had two solid shows.  I saw the other two pieces that our cohort put on and they are truly solid shows as well.  So all in all I'm very proud of us. 

Now I have a few days off to pack up my life and we'll be off to London to tour for next week.  I'm excited to see that city one last time.  I'm a big fan.  And it will be good to get out of Glasgow a bit. 

And I'm very excited for a relatively quiet weekend.  I've been feeling a bit overly emotional lately.  It's made being around people a bit difficult.  I want so badly to hibernate.  To read books, write nonsense, watch television, and have ultimate quiet. It's one thing that I'm really looking forward to back in Seattle.  To take a week or so to turn off my brain, and have the easy things be easy.  Right now it feels like I'm anxious and tired at the same time.  Both stressed and bored.  What's more, my brain is functioning at half capacity.  Like treading through mud.  And I hate that.  I can't even be fussed to make this blog entry entertaining, so I apologize for the vanilla when you should be getting chocolate fudge brownie.  I'll do better next time. 

And I no doubt will have much more to say since I have a whole "to do" list for London.  This includes seeing Richard III at the Globe starring THE Mark Rylance.  You may send messages of jealousy my way.  I am one lucky girl. 

So, friends, have a beautiful weekend.  Now, excuse me,  I gotta shower off all this make-up, glitter, and salt...

Thinking of you  x

No comments:

Post a Comment