Monday, June 18, 2012

Chocolate Cake Makes Me Run Faster.

So you may be wondering to yourselves why on earth running a mile in under 10 minutes is so important to me.  Or why on earth it is all that impressive.  Well, I'll tell you.

I knew I'd never be gazelle-like, even at an early age. My brother had always been the athletic one and I had always thanked the Lord for a somewhat above normal IQ so that I could compensate for the lack of athletic prowess.  It only occasionally bothered me growing up.  I had the determination, but not the ability.

One of those times was in 8th grade P.E. class.  I was going to fail a course because I couldn't run.  Being beyond chubby and lazy was sort of a hobby of mine at the time.  The teacher, Mrs Eichholz (or however you spell her name) was going to take pity on me even though she alternated between being kind and being a pain in the ass.  She said, "if you can run the mile in under ten minutes, I'll pass you."  I was determined, I was focused, I was...winded.  But I hurled my short stubby legs forward, determined not to fail.  Please don't let me fail.  ...well...I failed.  I ran it in 10:03.  ugh.  I almost think it's worse sometimes when you are an "almost, but not quite."  I feel like I get that a lot.  "Good.  But not quite good enough."

And it sticks with you.  Amazing how stupid little moments like that can give a kid (and future adult) a complex.  And I never really tried to run a mile again.  Why bother?  I knew I couldn't do it.

Well, it only took 16 years or so but today I ran it in 9:58. 

So suck it, Mrs Eichholz.

Voice what you want, GET what you want.

Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment