Monday, April 9, 2012

I'm Getting Married.

Made you look.  No, but really, the wedding industry of Glasgow thinks I am after yesterday.  Easter Sunday brought a wedding fayre (convention) to town and director PB and I went for research on our On the Verge project.  I wasn't sure if I should be incognito as an engaged woman or not so I brought a fake engagement ring just in case.  And thank God I did.
This was a proper fayre with mimosas and booths around the room.  And PB and I were the only one's in there for about an hour or so, so there was no escaping the full attention of the industry.  PB and I quickly decided my backstory and for the next 2 1/2 hours, I planned my fictional wedding with  my fictional fiance.  It was a shit ton of fun. 
I based almost everything on fact though: what I would want for a wedding, who I was, etc. Because without enough prep time, I didn't want to maintain too many "lies."  I knew I was nervous and wouldn't be able to keep track of them all. 
The exercise ended up being pretty useful, and PB got a bag full of freebie goodies.  Since my character is a wedding planner as well, the room was a big lesson in the profession.
There was a point however when I thought the jig was up.  It all came down to ring lady, Kathy.  A very nice woman who works for a fancy wedding bands retailer.  When we got to her and she asked to see my engagement ring my stomach dropped.  You see said ring, although very lovely, was purchased about five years ago by my mother in a grocery store for about 5 bucks.  And it has become a bit rusted on the band because..well...it's worth 5 bucks.  So I kept my fingers close together and flashed her the ring. ...she fell in love with it.  As she cooed over it I said,  "Yeah, he did good, didn't he?"  of my fictional fiance.
She said,  "oh he sure did."
So we spent the next fifteen minutes or so trying on 500 GBP (900USD) wedding bands against my 5 dollar Fred Meyer ring so I could "get the right look and fit."  Oh so wrong!
And then when we took a look at men's wedding rings I got a whole lesson on a new metal called palladium that has no nickel in it for which I told her "oh thank goodness, because my fiance has an allergy to some metals."  ...where do I come up with these things?

Normally I would have felt guilty for taking up these people's time but there was no one else there and they seemed wretchedly bored so I think they needed some entertainment as well.  And I know for a fact they wouldn't have treated us the same way if we had said, hey we're doing an acting project, help us.  And we entered a drawing to win a bottle of champagne so that's a plus as well.

Other interesting moments,  the DJ and pianist were there.  Songs played were:
My Heart Will Go On- Titanic sdtk
Lady in Red
Theme from Love, Actually
and Rod (ew) Stewart. 

Now I have such an aversion to Rod Stewart that when that song came on, the guy just got him self hypothetically fired.

There was also a magician there.  He apparently gets hired to work the room after the ceremony when the guests are waiting for the food and the bride and groom are doing pictures.  Clever and not as cheesy as I would have thought.  That dead time is always the bane of every wedding I've been to.  And he was pretty good, actually.  But he may or may not have hit on me.  You'll have to check with PB to be sure.   I can't imagine my fictional fiance would have liked that. 

But yes,  that was the afternoon.  Then I took myself to a movie and had dinner at SW house with a small group of the cohort.  He made the best jambalaya I've ever had.  I may just have to fictionally marry him for his cooking.

We start rehearsals back up again tomorrow.  I'm pretty much ready.  I think.  It's difficult to tell.  And I've also felt that lately I've not been able to sensor what I say at all.  Which, ok, I've rarely had much of a sensor.  But now I feel it's just pure poison of the mouth.  Sometimes I need to just keep my mouth shut.  Yes, I may tell the truth (or my truth at least), but truth, if not sought and does not enrich a conversation and when told is negative or puts someone in an ill light, does not always need to be told.  It rarely does. 
I feel like I can't help myself.  The words have left my mouth and I realize they didn't need to be said.  It makes me catty and rude.  I havent' quite found my balance of private and public.  I know I should be more private with things like...opinions.  But I also feel suffocated when I keep too much in.  Well, however which way you spin it, I shall work harder in speaking only to improve on silence.

Hope you all had a blessed Easter!

Thinking of you  x

1 comment: