Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Ice Queen Cometh.

It was one of those weeks that felt like it would never end and that one day seemed to seep into the next. 

Basically it was a whole week of Duchess of Malfi rehearsals in which we sat around a table, going line by line through the text, and defining every word and event.  Eight hours a day of heated debates and questions with no answers.  It was mind numbing. And yet, necessary.  Pete (director) has a way of wanting everyone to have an opinion and for everyone to think for themselves.  This is good in that we all know everyone's roles, we all agree on the world we created, and we all feel a part of the process.  However, that also leaves our group with a lack of focus, a restlessness, and moments of utmost frustration. 

I have managed to get a slightly stronger grasp on my character which is a plus.  It went from me playing a conceptual role, to me playing four roles, to now playing those four roles as if it were just one person.  It's difficult to feel your way through a part that has never existed before.  And even tougher to not be able to ask questions from your director.  It isn't that he isn't receptive, but it's more that he doesn't have the answers.  On purpose.  Pete has the utmost faith that he'll come up with the answers (or rather, I will), but he doesn't quite know how.  The unknown, as many of you know, makes me want to claw my own eyes out.  But I am getting used to bumping around blindly and praying I find a light switch eventually.  It has also been tough for me to sit still and have nothing to do for much of the process.  It will be a bit of a relief when we get into active rehearsals and I can actually work on something.

We do manage to do a few exercises here and their that have been interesting.  One of them being a sort of molding exercise.  Five people lie on the floor with eyes closed.  Five others enter the room and then mold your body into movements and shapes that create a line of text from the show.  Someone will whisper into your ear either "passive" "semi passive" or "active."  Passive means your body goes completely limp on the floor and is nothing but dead weight.  Semi passive is when they move your body and you retain the shape they just put you in.  Active is if they give you a shove, you keep moving in the way that they moved you.  Through these three phases, we create a picture of part of the text.  All still with the molded person's eyes closed.

We've also revisited the Archetypes again.  Slightly different from the Glynn-duh of the Globe, we deal with the King, the Innocent, the Mother, the Fool, the Hero, and the Trickster.  By combining two from the list, we can kick start a character's inner life/struggle.  Many of us are more than one of these and it's the combination that makes us unique.  LM is very much the Hero/Trickster.  I am the King/Mother.  AK is the Innocent/Mother.  It's fascinating to identify those around you and then put them into your character.  Trying each on like they are a pair of shoes.

Wednesday was an extremely long day that began with yoga which was wonderful.  Then another eight hours of painful textual analysis.  Then On the Verge rehearsals again with Phil et al.  I think we were all burnt out by the time we started Verge rehearsals but by the end, we all perked up a bit.  I find that when I work with these people, they reenergize me.  The type of work we are doing is very much a naturalism through improv.  And I really really like it.  It's honest and it's fun.  And I love working with people who give so much.  It really redeemed the entire day.  It's funny also to know that the director, even on his most disorganized day, is still ten times more on the ball than almost any director I've worked with.  The guy is certainly in the right business. 

I've also spent the last week working on some vocal and flute pieces.  We are supposed to present some musical suggestions to Pete this coming Thursday.  So strange how it freaks me out more to sing and play for the class than it ever did being on the Globe stage, for instance.  I really don't understand myself sometimes.

On Friday we started the day with a four square battle between casts.  We Malfians got our butts handed to us. But I had a good time.  I forget sometimes that I was brought up to be competitive until we play.  And then the flashbacks of all the sports I played growing up hit me.  I was never very good at sports.  Kevin (my brother) was always the athletic one.  But we both really were brought up to win.  It never occurred to me that people were brought up any other way.  After going to drinks with AK afterwards and hearing how she has never had that drive, I realize that people are sometimes more sensitive to others when playing.  It's good to see that other side.  To be aware that for some people, playing is not about the end game.  For me, it has always been: you play to win.  I guess that's why they call me the Ice Queen.  Meh, I've been called worse.

I've never been more grateful for the weekend.  However this one has gone by WAY too fast.  Saturday night we had a well earned girl's night out.  Drinks (many) at Angie's followed by much dancing at the club Garage.  It was nice to get dressed up, drink a large amount of Jameson, and do a little step touch.  But man do I wish I had an extra day to recover.  Well worth the pain though. 

This is the first time I've reached a Sunday night and not looked forward to the Monday.  I just hope I'm dreading it for no reason.  Who knows, it could be the best week ever.  ...yeah. 





No comments:

Post a Comment