Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fire? oh. no. That's just me.

Today's schedule included a tour of the IT department and Library, as well as the studios off campus and a meeting with the Dean of Drama and Dance.

I walk to school along Buchanan Street.  I would think it's their version of the Upper East Side with all their shops and old buildings.  They have street musicians that play all over.  One blending into another.  There's a girl with dreads playing the acoustic guitar, singing Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.  Then the old gypsy women with three teeth, smiling and playing the accordian.  Constant sound that echoes through the alley ways.

I get to school and wind my way around searching for the Tech Lab.  The place is a friggin' Labyrinth.  I half expect David Bowie and the muppets to pop out and sing "chilly down" to me.  I make a pitstop to one of the hidden bathrooms that I see along the way.  And here, friends, is where the trouble begins.  Unknowingly, I was in the handicapped bathroom.  I didn't pay attention to the postings, and as I was leaving I pulled on a cord that was hanging by the ceiling.  Apparently, this is an alarm that can be set off if a disabled person gets in trouble.  Yeah.  I walked out of the bathroom wondering why on earth we were having a fire drill and how annoying that alarm that was sounding throughout the building was.  It wasn't until later that I realized...it was me.  Yup.  To any of my RCSers who might be reading this...oops.  My bad.  The alarm turned off after five minutes, luckily.  And they didn't even evacuate the whole building. But seriously.  FML, people.

The Library itself was ok.  Everyone seemed extremely impressed. I just kept thinking how spoiled I had been at AMDA and tried not to mention to the bragging librarian that I had more music on my flash drive than he did in his entire collection. 

After the library (now this is irony, friends)  we went to the other studio off campus for, now wait for it, fire safety and proper drill protocol.  Thanks.  Probably could have used that this morning.

I had also begun to get a head start on my textbook reading.  The assignment is Stanislavsky's "An Actor's Work".  Or as Phil from Cornwall in my cohort calls him "Stan the Man".  As I read, I began to feel a calmness settling in.  I knew I would feel better once work started, but mostly it was what the man was saying.  He wrote about all his troubles, worries, and failures.  This is the father of technique, people, and it was like he was taking the words right out of my mouth.  A blanket of comfort was thrown on me and I thought, "Holy Sh*t.  It really IS going to be ok." Huh.

As I left the building, I could hear the Musical Theatre students singing their pieces.  One girl was singing "I will be loved tonight" from I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change.  And it was a flash back to my first semester at AMDA when Jennifer Gottlieb (who's now being fabulous on VH1) had to sing it. (p.s. Jenni, she ain't got nuthin' on you!) And it made my heart hurt a little.  I miss singing a bit.  Never thought I would.  And I especially miss my A1's of 2006.  But I'm good here. 

I ended my night with more reading and then procrastinating in the kitchen while MC attempted a new kitchen wonder.  Still highly amusing.  Can't wait to see him attempt ironing.

And now I'll fall asleep with my window open, listening to violins being practiced in flats below me.

1 comment:

  1. "Stan the man" is totally what I have referred to Stanislavsky as before! haha

    ReplyDelete