Saturday, February 18, 2012

"En Garde!" wait...who gave Stacy a sharp pointy thing?

I've not written because, to be honest, I've not felt I had a multitude of things to write.  The week has been a bit different in that there hasn't been a whole lot of class but I still found I rarely stopped moving.

I've still gone to the gym every other day (except for today, as I've caught a cold).  And Thursday, I decided to take my very first fencing class.  I dragged MAR with me and I think he was even more into it than I was.  It's a class with the Glasgow Fencing Club.  The first one is free and the head guy used to teach at our Univ anyway.  The whole thing is almost two hours long and you literally jump right in.  They suit you up in backwards straight jacket white thingys, a glove, a sweaty mask, a chest plate for the girls, and an epee.  They work on footwork for the first twenty minutes where you are in the squat position for most of it, attack arm slightly bent and facing  forward, other hand behind you over your head in a sort of "C" shape.  Then we go through a few exercises of thrusts, parrys, disengages.  Then we spar or free fight while Mark (why is everyone in this country called Mark?) gives people small one-on-one lessons.  By the end, I'm sweaty, my legs are shaking, I've been poked twice in the thigh, once in the ribs, twice in the arms, and once in the soft spot where your arm meets your shoulder.  I loved it.  Although I have to say, I'm surprised at how hesitant I was at attacking.  And I think this will actually be very useful for my acting.  This is a sport you could do with your eyes closed eventually.  No.  Like, for real.  Because it is based off of sensation and give and take.  If I advance on you and touch your epee with mine and feel no resistance, I know to thrust.  If I feel resistance, I know to disengage then thrust.  If you disengaged to disarm and I never felt your blade at all, I parry and then attack.  But if I spend even an instant trying to plan ahead or not listen and feel what you are giving me, I miss or fall off balance, and you've pinned me.  I've lost.  Acting=Fencing.  huh, who knew?  AND best part is every lesson is only 4GBP (equiv is about 6 USD).  They supply the equipment.  I just have to show up.  And I can check this off the list of things to do before I die.  Yes, I do actually have one, in case you were wondering.

As for the world of academia, Monday were tutorials about our term papers and a catch up with the head of the dept.  Neither tutorial made me happy.  But I need not go into it much, just know that I passed and I'm still doing very well.  The rest is just my temper simmering.

Tuesday was an unexpected day off because our other tutorial lady got sick.  Which is fine except it was for Valentine's day and I made cupcakes.  So with over twenty cakes, I found ways to entertain myself.  I gave some to my floormates, took some to school where I met KS, and some to RM's house later on.  I spoiled myself rotten on Vday as I often do.  I took KS to the bookstore and we bought books for ourselves and I bought one for her as well.  Her mom used to always buy her a book on the holiday but since she wasnt in country this time, well, tradition must be adhered to.  We also went to the cinema and saw a movie, and then ended up at RMs flat for what he called "Galentine's Day."  A laid back get together where we ate chocolate and cupcakes and watched live feed of puppys playing on Ustream.  yeah.  Believe it or not, it was exactly the kind of day I was looking for.

Wednesday was a full day with the creator of our voice work, Nadine George.  This is a method that still does not resonate very well with me.  It sometimes works, it sometimes doesn't.  I still like the partner work in dropping the breath, as well as the connecting with the space and others as you walk around and embrace.  But the speaking on full voice in scenes for long periods of time still turns me off immensely.  I can hear it straining some voices and I feel unhealthy it is in mine.  After hearing KS and JS explain a few things in a feedback session, I understand it more in that the sound is not a pushing that you do, but an inner release.  My problem is that I don't like that the teachers cannot tell the difference when someone is pushing and when someone is releasing.  Because there is one.  But either way, Nadine was a very nice lady who clearly has a passion for her work and loves what she does. 

Thursday was an On The Verge meeting with PB, a programme meeting, and a seminar with the assistant artistic director of "Frozen Charlotte" theatre company.  It's a company that does children's and youth theatre.
On The Verge (which I may have mentioned before, is a platform for us to put together a piece of experimental theatre and put it up for a night at one of Glasgow's theatre venues.)  PB has come up with a great idea that blends both improv and structured scene.  It will be very tricky to keep a form while still have it bounce around freely but the challenge and the people I am working with has me very excited.  Looking very much forward to it.

Frozen Charlotte was...interesting.  In that I discovered that when it comes to children, I'm exceptionally conservative.  The pieces that were being read from they have put on were mostly controversial and a lot darker than I'd expected.  They were good.  But I would Never put them to audiences as young as they had slated for.  It was not something I would ever let anyone under the age of 14 see for the most part.  But then again, I come from an upbringing where at 12-13 yrs we thought it was scandalous that Sarah and Wesley were holding hands in the hallway between class and that Cody and Gloria were passing notes during Home Ec.  People are a bit more advanced now I think.  But I've never been a fan of those who stop being kids too soon.

Friday involved two seminars.  First was a casting director for mostly film.  She was the nicest casting agent I have ever encountered.  If we could clone her and replace all the NYC casting people with her than I think we'd be a better place.  She was honest and blunt but never offensive.  She wanted to help and knew that lying to us about what our headshots looked like would not be useful. And telling us what's appropriate when dealing with casting members could make the difference between getting the job and not.  It was reassuring to know that for the most part things work in the same way here as in the States.  They even use Casting Networks which is the site where I got most of my work and as well as what I used for casting others.  Even more useful was the fact that she said they are switching to color headshots here and that most things are becoming digital. Self tapings are becoming more and more common.  Which if you think about it, saves SO much time for everyone.  Instead of getting up at 6am in the morning, fighting the subway traffic to get to downtown on time only to wait in line with hundreds of people who are going for the same part and then getting 30seconds of someone's time while they eat an egg salad sandwich and dribble on their iphone while they are texting and not looking at you....they could just watch the video of your audition that you uploaded at ten am that morning when you were fresh faced, unfrazzled, and awake after your morning cup of coffee.  AND you've already cut out all the bad takes you've made so you look like a really good actor.  You just bought yourself a few more hours of sleep, a better mood, a more productive day, and a good audition.  And you just bought them more time, they spent less money, and they don't have to pretend they want you if they don't.  done and done.

The second Q&A of the day was with Vox Motus.  A very good and innovative theatre company who's artistic directors are graduates of the BA Acting course here.  They've won a few Firsts at the Edinburgh Fringe and just put on a show that began at the theatre where I found my placement.  OH! I didn't tell you.  I found a placement for the week of April 2nd.  The Lyceum Theatre in Edinburgh is putting on a show (The Lieutenant of Inishmore) and I get to go watch rehearsals for a week.  I'm more and more excited about this.  I saw the show on Broadway a few years back and loved it.  Mark (another Mark) Thomson is the artistic director of the Lyceum but also the director of the show.  He's (from what I've researched and heard) quite the professional and has worked in Glasgow as well as at the Cockpit which is where we tour our new playwrights play in London in September.  So it should hopefully be very useful. 

Next week we begin rehearsals for Duchess of Malfi and our next term paper is due.  I've no idea what to expect from either.  But I will be very happy to find some structure in the schedule again.  But still happy and plodding along. :)
Thinking of you x

No comments:

Post a Comment