Friday, January 20, 2012

Fear and Lear


I had a conversation with myself yesterday. It occurred about two hours after I found that I was cast as King Lear. It was between myself and fear.When the cobwebs cleared and my brain started to recover from shock,   it sort of went like this.

Self: Right.

Fear: ...

Self: Oh.

Fear: ...

Self: I...

Fear: Yes?

Self: I wouldn't know where to begin. ...I'm King Lear.

Fear: Yup.

Self: Is that all you can say?

Fear: (smiles pompously)

Self: This wasn't even an option. I didn't think this was an option.

Fear: (giggles)

Self: If I were to set the largest challenge for myself...

Fear: it would be this. Soggy ground to walk on. Getting thrown on a stage that has its own feelings. In a role that is not your gender, age, has layers of madness, vulnerability, and despair.

Self: Right.

Fear: and you have to do it in two weeks.

Self: I see you.

Fear: Good.

Self: But this is what I need.

Fear: You could blow it, you know.

Self: No. This is going to be awesome.

Fear: You're going to blow it, you know.

Self: No risk, no growth.

Fear: (sings it) You're going to blow it.

Self: No.

Fear: (makes explosion sound with mouth)

Self: Fuck you. I can do this.



...and I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment